|A natural water based liquid containing 2.5x1010 cfu/ml (colony forming units per ml) spores of the strain FZB42 Bacillus amyloliquefaciens.
Biomex Starter works by colonising the roots of the growing plant with spores of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. The colonies shield the plant roots from pathogenic fungal attack, and secrete compounds in the vicinity of the root hairs that help to increase availability and uptake of nutrients, resulting in the following effects being observed:
1. Improved germination
2. Improved rooting leading to increased plant vigour
3 Resulting in Earlier bulking
4. Reduced disease intensity and frequency due to out-competing soil pathogens
5. Giving Improved yields
The benefits of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens are likely be reduced in soils with high humus content or naturally high microbial activity because of the higher levels of Bacillus already present in the soil.
Neither phytotoxic nor phytopathogenic effects have been observed in greenhouse and field trials.
Biomex Starter is suitable for mixing with placed liquid fertiliser or in-furrow application on potatoes or and seedbed application on carrots. Efficacy will be optimised when soil temperatures exceed 10°C.
Shake the bottle before use. Apply the spray solution within 8 hours of mixing.
For potatoes, apply with in-furrow application equipment to ensure placement in close proximity to the seed potato or add to placed liquid fertiliser.
For carrots, it is only necessary to treat the soil surrounding the seed, so banded application is acceptable. It is not suitable for overall application.
For horticultural use, Biomex Starter may be used as a root dip or soil drench.
||Immediately before or after drilling
||Apply by banded application over drilled area
|Potatoes - soil application
||0.5 - 1
Apply to tubers and soil surrounding tubers.
Use the higher rate when planting
Soil Application Guidelines
1. Biomex Starter can be applied with liquid placement fertiliser. This is the easiest application method and requires no additional equipment or adaptations. Dilute 0.5-1 litre of Biomex Starter in the volume of liquid fertiliser required per hectare. Maintain agitation and apply within 8 hours of mixing.
2. Alternatively, Biomex Starter can be applied using an in-furrow fungicide applicator. If Biomex Starter is being applied alone, there is no requirement to avoid application directly to the seed tubers, and it would be possible to replace the normal dual nozzle system with a single, larger aperture nozzle to reduce the risk of blockages. Dilute 0.5-1 litre Biomex Starter in 25-50l/ha water. Maintain agitation, apply within 8 hours of mixing.
3. While some growers have co-applied Biomex
Starter with fungicides successfully through in-
furrow applicators, applications are made at the grower’s own risk. In systems where the product is applied pre-dispersed with water and those with low volume electric pumps, increasing the viscosity of the mixture by high loading with azoxystrobin, for example and Biomex Starter will increase the risk of blockages, especially if the machine is left idle and the mixture is not agitated.
It is recommended to use systems with direct chemical injection and/or higher volume hydraulic pumps, which dose the concentrated Biomex Starter during application or maintain high levels of agitation. The ideal solution is a twin delivery direct injection system, with separate nozzles so that the materials are applied in tandem rather than in a mixture.
4. With in-furrow applicators, where the material is
pre-mixed with water, it is essential to provide agitation to the tank, and to take care only to mix and apply the correct quantities so that material is not left standing in the tank or spray lines.
The formulation is stable for more than three years at 20°C. It should be kept fully sealed and protected from freezing during storage. Do not store or use opened packages in subsequent seasons.
For further information on timong and application rates please refer to the Biomex Starter Technical Information for Horticulture PDF
Turf and Amenity
Biomex Starter is a suspension of spores of the bacteria Bacillus amyloliquefacians which, when applied to soil, leads to the rapid development of a healthy network of microbial growth in the soil, which can help grass roots become less susceptible to pathogen attack due to improved soil health.
Plants grown in soil treated with Biomex Starter have shown improved germination and rooting, increased vigour and health and reduced disease incidence.
Biomex colonises the roots of the turf, making it more difficult for pathogens to infect the roots and helping solubilise minerals in the soil to make them available for uptake.
|When to use
||How much to use
|Prior to applying nitrogen
||25ml/green, 0.5 litres/ha
||Apply to boost soil health